Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Things I will miss:

I thought I would write a few things that I am going to miss about the DR as I head back to the US on Friday. Hope you enjoy!

#1 My awesome students. I have grown to love my job in the Dominican Republic. Yes, sometimes it is hectic. Yes, sometime it is extremely overwhelming. Yes, it is always challenging; however, there has not been one day that I wake up dreading my job. How many people at 22 years old are living their dream? [More on this in the next blog post] I am really going to miss my job, co-workers, school and the wonderful kids that I get the privilege of working with every day.


#2 Speaking Spanish. In the beginning learning Spanish was a bit overwhelming and intimidating; however, when I finally made it over the hump of intimidation I fell in love. I love being able to meet someone on their level and communicate in their native language. I have a long ways to go, but I plan to be very intentional to continue to use my Spanish in the States.


#3 La Playa (the beach!). I am definitely- hands-down- a beach girl. Living so close to one of the most beautiful beaches in the whole world has spoiled me. I blame it partly on the fact that the beach is the one place where I can actually breathe. I will definitely miss the beautiful waters, kite surfers and sandy beaches.


#4 My church- Vida Nueva. I have grown attached to the church that I have attended here in the Dominican Republic. When I first started going to VN hearing a sermon in Spanish was overwhelming and tiring, but now I love the challenge. I love singing songs in Spanish and greeting my brothers and sisters at church.


#5 This season of my life. One of the hardest things about this transition has been accepting the fact that this season of my life is coming to an end (for now). I have fallen in love with the Dominican people and culture. I love everything about teaching in an international school- despite all of the challenges. I have had a wonderful roommate that has encourage me and stretched me to be more like Jesus. This by far will be what I miss the most. I plan to post again this week about the thoughts of the transition, so stay tuned for more to come!


Thanks for reading! Que tengan un buen dia. [ Have a good day!]

-Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment