Tuesday, October 25, 2011

10 memories from the first 10 days...

Ten Memories from the last Ten days...

1) Arriving in country at 9pm (and meeting my WONDERFUL roommate Lindsey) and going to school at 6:45 the next morning. Talk about transition.


2) Going to La Sirena (kinda of equivalent to a Walmart... sort of.) for the first time. It was very overwhelming and weird to see prices in the hundreds for small things (38 Dominican Pesos is equivalent to $1.00)


3) Staying home on Thursday to unpack and waking up to no power. no water. no internet. no phone. What an interesting day.


4) Trying to communicate with the Internet guy who was speaking very fast Dominican Spanish. Only to find out that he is a pastor and loves Jesus. (Which mind you was the only part of the conversation that I could put together.)


5) Meeting my amazing students and my wonderful assistant- Alba. Such a blessing.


6) Going to the bank three times before they will actually give me a bank account. Thankfully my precious roommate translated.


7) Deciding to paint a few walls in our house to add some “home-iness” sounded like a good idea. Realizing that our laundry sink is broken (no one told us) and the water flooded our downstair’s neighbors whole house was a bad idea. [Side note: We were able to meet her and develop a friendship that will hopefully lead her to Christ.]


8) Going to a Dominican church for the first time. I didn’t understand very much (because Dominicans speak FAST!), but being brought to tears by the worship-even though it was in another language.


9) Visiting “La Playa Sosua” (a beautiful beach) for the first time with the Koster’s (my family away from my family)! The beach was beautiful and the water was crystal clear!


10) Realizing that the Lord has called me to such a place for such a time as this. I am able to reflect on the goodness of the Lord and his providence in all situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment