Tuesday, November 15, 2011

No Agua.


You would think after four weeks of living in the Dominican Republic and all the crazy things that have happened, I would be not be surprised by anything. On Friday, we were told that there was going to be a “huelga”- a national strike- due to some people’s issues with the government. This means that on Monday they would burn tires, vandalize and such unless the government appease their complaints. [While this is an issue getting to school, I live in a VERY safe neighborhood. We are just advised to stay in our apartment.] So Sunday rolled around and we received the final word that we would not have school Monday due to the huelga. Hooray, right? Until Sunday night when we realized that the water in our apartment building was out. We spent all day Monday at home- with no water. It is funny how I would forget and go to wash my hands or wash something off and realize that we did not have water. Over and over, I would try to use water or do something that I needed water. Getting frustrated, I sat down on the couch and a still small voice whispered to me, “Madison, this is how much of the world lives, and never expects to have water.” In that moment, a feeling of guilt washed over me knowing that I take advantage of the daily things that the Lord has given me. 
The theme of the last four weeks of my life has been “the little things.” In such a short amount of time, I have had to adjust, deal with, figure out and readjust so many things in my life. From the sink that broke and flooded the apartment below us to the water going out randomly, the Lord has allowed little things (that may be normal in the DR) to teach me how blessed I am; to teach me that I still have so much to be thankful for. These little things could have built up and turned into a big thing, but through the grace of the Lord I have been able to look at the situation through the eyes of Jesus. Its amazing how “first-world problems” often create in us a frustration or anxiousness. Many times, the Lord wants us to step back and realize that the little things remind us who all of trust should be in. Just like I have said so many times before and I will say it once again: Jesus is enough. always. 
Thank you for reading! I pray that the Lord would bless you today! Continue to pray for me as I learn the language and adjust to the culture. Thank you to those who have sent me encouraging emails and letters. I love getting things from “home.”
-Madison  
Mailing Address: 
Santiago Christian School 
Madison Wheeler 
8400 N.W. 25th ST Suite 110 
BM #2-30555
Doral, FL 33122

No comments:

Post a Comment