Thursday, November 3, 2011

Teaching in the Dominican Republic


Today I realized that while I have given a few updates since arriving in the Dominican Republic, I have yet to update you on my job! Many of you know that I am a middle school and high school special services teacher. I coordinate all of the special education students for the secondary school.  When I arrived I was informed that I would have around 20 students that i would either teach directly (I teach two guided studies for Pre-Calculus and Algebra I.), Push into the classroom with or I monitor their grades/dictate their test. I am basically the advocate for many of these students between their parents, teachers and sometimes for themselves. 
When I first arrived I was able to meet most of my students right away. They were very welcoming and kind. They immediately noticed my accent (what accent?!) and my age. Most of my students were failing or severely struggling before the SST program, but now they are becoming successful students! I have an amazing assistant/co-teacher, Alba, who actually graduated from SCS. She is so intelligent and helpful.  She has even helped me to learn more Spanish! 
I am very blessed come to a place where there is such a need for special education teachers.  I have been a little overwhelmed at the great need because there is only one of me. The students, staff and parents are so grateful for the program and have been really supportive of the work that I am doing. Please continue to pray for me as I invest in these students, not only in academics, but in their spiritual lives as well. I want to see my students succeed, but even more I want to see them come to know and love Jesus. Also, please pray for the Special Education program at the school because there is a growing number of students that I am receiving referrals for assistance. This is a wonderful problem, however there are only two of us. Thank you for reading and praying! Dios le bendiga! [I have included several pictures of my classroom! I finally got a bookcase for my students things and I made a banner for the wall!] 

-Madison 




1 comment:

  1. Madison I am so proud of you! What an exciting time in your life. Your commitment to follow our Father's leading is very humbling. You are young, beautiful and talented and you could be doing a 1000 different things here in the U.S.A with your gifts, but you choose to forsake all to win all! You are a blessing! Love you!:)

    ReplyDelete