Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Refocus of Purpose


Today I have been in living in the Dominican Republic for four weeks. In some ways it feels like I have lived here for months and in some ways it feels like I just got here yesterday. In just four short weeks, the Lord has allowed me to experience a myriad of emotions and situations that have tested my faith in Him. There were days when I was overwhelmed with the task that I have been give, lonely because i am in a land where everything and everyone is new, and I even questioned why I was here. 

“But it is written: ‘Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him’. But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.”
 1 Corinthians 2:9-10 

(Aren’t we so thankful for those two little words...) Just when I am longing for some encouragement, for some direction, for some confirmation, the Lord so graciously reminds me that He doesn’t need me; however, he chooses to use an empty, broken vessel like me to share His love with the world. (Here is where my story enters the picture)... 
[Background: There is such a need for special services in the DR. I currently have 20+ students that qualify for special services, 10 of which I see every day one on one. I received 8 referrals last week of students who could qualify. I was a little overwhelmed; however, I LOVE my job.] One of my new students that is beginning to receive services met with me today. It just so happens that he comes from a Buddhist background. We were working on World History and the Reformation of the church with Martin Luther. During my instruction, he asks me “Miss (this is what all the students refer to their teachers as), what is salvation?” I was overcome with joy as I was able to explain the gospel starting from John 3:16 through the Romans Road. It was such a refreshing feeling to carefully explain to him about the Jesus that has rocked my boat (to say the least). He ask several more questions before we moved on. 
After he was dismissed, I couldn’t help but think about this young man who is lost. He needs Jesus. The Lord was so gracious to remind me that I need to be ready. I need to be soaking in His Word, so that at all times it is pouring out from my life. I need to “be ready to give an answer for the hope that I have, with gentleness and respect.” (1 Peter 3:15) I ask that you would pray with me for this young man. Pray that conversations are sparked, doors are opened and that the Holy Spirit speaks through me. Pray for his salvation. Thank you for all your support and love! I love hearing from each of you in emails, letters and skype! It definitely makes my day! 
-Madison 

1 comment:

  1. Madison, I will be praying that the doors and windows of heaven open up and pour out grace beyond measure as you continue to serve and love. What an inspiration you are!

    ReplyDelete